181/183 Wattletree Road181/183 Wattletree Road
Malvern, VIC, 3144 Get Directions
03 9429 1002
03 8672 0771
Claim your profile
Mr Ramez Bassari is a Surgeon and Endoscopist, with sub-specialist training and qualifications in Bariatric (weight loss) and Upper Gastrointestinal surgery. He is also GESA-accredited to perform gastroscopy and colonoscopy.
Mr Bassari completed his medical degree in 2004 at the University of Auckland. This was followed by specialist surgical training (FRACS) which he completed in 2012. He pursued further sub-specialist training in the fields of Bariatric/Metabolic and Upper Gastrointestinal surgery for the next 4 years. This included 2 years through the competitive ANZGOSA training scheme.
He is involved with the training of surgical registrars (future surgeons) and attends regular scientific meetings both nationally and internationally, in order to maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills.
In his spare time, he trains in martial arts including Muay Thai and MMA.
Procedures he commonly performs include:
• Hernia surgery (e.g. groin or stomach/abdominal hernias)
• Laparoscopic gall stone / gall bladder surgery (cholecystectomy)
• Laparoscopic anti-reflux surgery (e.g. Nissen fundoplication)
• Laparoscopic hiatus hernia repair
• Haemorrhoidectomy (removal of haemorrhoids)
• Gastrectomy - removal of part or all of the stomach
e.g. for stomach cancer
• Oesophagectomy - removal of the oesophagus
e.g. for oesophageal cancer
Bariatric surgery he performs include:
• Laparoscopic gastric sleeve / sleeve gastrectomy
• Laparoscopic gastric bypass (roux-en-Y)
• Laparoscopic gastric band (commonly known as the “Lap Band”)
• Duodenal switch
• Revisional bariatric surgery (those who have had bariatric surgery
• Intra-gastric balloon