Dec 21, 2021
My name is Sandy and I’ve worked at Peninsula Private Hospital for nearly 23 years.
Describe your job without using a position title?
Performing a multitude of activities and responsibilities within a structured management system that ensures that the services and care provided meet acceptable industry standards, consumer expectations and with a focus on continuous improvement. Providing teams with support and guidance, and the resources to provide and achieve best quality care and consumer experience.
What motivates you and why?
As health care workers we are in a very privileged position with patients and their families entrusting us with their lives and care. I am motivated by the desire to facilitate best possible outcomes for patients and their families, at their time of greatest need and when they are at their most vulnerable.
If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
I would love to learn to dance.
What does the Year of Health and Care Workers mean to you?
Recognition of the uniqueness, the complexity, diversity, challenges and opportunities that exist and are encountered in everyday situations and in all interactions. It has been a time of action, reaction and reflection like no other, and at a level that we all hope will be a once in a career experience.
What would you say to inspire future generations of workers in health care?
It’s all about opportunities - having worked in various roles and positions in my career and in particular at Peninsula Private and Ramsay Health Care, I have been fortunate to have had many opportunities to grow and develop both personally and professionally with the support of great leaders and mentors. This has included all aspects of perioperative nursing- clinical care, management and education, staff development coordination, product management and now quality and risk coordination.
There is opportunity in every situation:
- Be the person that provides guidance and support to patients and their families, your peers and colleagues
- Be kind and curious
- Show humility and dignity and most of all, be respectful
- Reflect on the past, acknowledge a job well done, but most of all focus on what could be done better in future
Embrace opportunity – both personally and professionally:
- Seek mentorship and mentor others
- Explore and accept opportunities that arise and which are often in disguise
- Involve yourself in improvement activities
- Be brave – challenge yourself and be challenged - reward yourself with the opportunity to grow and develop